Takaful Malaysia's Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice was last updated on 3 March 2021
We, Syarikat Takaful Malaysia Keluarga Berhad [Company No.: 198401019089 (131646-K)], our subsidiaries, related and/or associated companies (collectively, “Takaful Malaysia”) is committed to protect the personal data that are in our possession and under our control. This Privacy Notice informs you how we collect, handle, safeguard, retain and share your personal data during the course of our business with due care and compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“PDPA”) and the Code of Practice on Personal Data Protection for the Insurance and Takaful Industry in Malaysia (“Code”). This Privacy Notice will also provide information on how you could access your personal data and control our disclosure of such data. For the purpose of this Privacy Notice, Takaful Malaysia will also be referred to as "Us", "We", or "Our".
Purpose of this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice is in compliance with the PDPA and the Code which requires us to cover the following:-
General Principle: The processing of data requires consent
Consent is required before personal data can be processed. The personal data furnished by you may be used for lawful purposes directly related to our business activities to an extent as is necessary and not excessive in relation to that purposes. If you have provided your information voluntarily, then it is deemed that you have given consent. You may, by notice in writing, revoke your consent and we must cease processing your personal information within reasonable time frame.
Notice and Choice Principle
Takaful Malaysia must inform you in writing that your personal information is being processed, the types of personal data that we collect and disclose to (by us or by third parties) and for what purpose.
The disclosure principle has two aspects:
- Takaful Malaysia may disclose your data for the purpose it was collected / received; and
- Takaful Malaysia may disclose your data to a third party or a class of third parties who are stated in this Privacy Notice to you.
The protection of your personal information is important to us. Takaful Malaysia must take practical steps to protect the personal data from any loss, misuse, modification, unauthorized or accidental access or disclosure, alteration or destruction. All authorised disclosure of your personal information to our authorised agents or Takaful Intermediaries, we have and will require them to appropriately safeguard your personal data provided to them.
This principle provides that your personal information shall be kept and/or processed for as long as is necessary for the fulfilment of the purpose for it was collected. Takaful Malaysia may further retain personal info where it is necessary for legal and regulatory requirements. Once no longer required, the data must be destroyed or permanently deleted.
Data Integrity Principle
The principle imposes a duty on Takaful Malaysia to ensure that the personal data collected is accurate, complete, not misleading and up-to-date.
This is the right to access your personal data and correct it if it is inaccurate.
Collection of Personal Data
For the purpose of providing Takaful services, we would require you to provide us your personal data which shall includes but not limited to the following:
(i) Non-Sensitive Personal Information
- name and age;
- home/mailing address;
- NRIC/Passport No.;
- contact information, telephone number, e-mail address;
- biodata/personal profile;
- photograph or video image;
- employment information;
- financial information;
- investment and risk preferences;
- vehicle registration;
- personal information of family members or next of kin;
- personal data of beneficiaries, nominees, trustees, assignees, relevant to the processing of claims, the provision of takaful cover and related products and services; and/or
- such other personal information required (with your consent).
(ii) Sensitive Personal Information
- thumbprint or DNA profile;
- physical and/or mental health condition;
- religious belief;
- commission or alleged commission of any offence or contravention of law;
- expression of opinion; and/or
- such other sensitive personal information required (with your consent).
Use of Personal Data Collected
It shall be our duty to only utilise such personal information solely to conduct our business and no other reason of which shall include but not limited to the following:-
- carrying out any activity in relation to or in connection with carrying Takaful Malaysia’s duties as a Takaful Operator, as licensed under the Islamic Financial Services Act 2013;
- customer service under an agreement, complaints handling, conservation, including any value-added services. Agreement shall include family takaful, general takaful, medical takaful, group takaful certificates, agency contract, broking agreements and employment contracts;
- carrying out any activity for any investigation during any assessment of proposals and claims;
- carrying out any activity in exercising the right to subrogation/recovery;
- carrying out any activity for the purpose of preventing, investigating and/or reporting any actual or suspected criminal activity (e.g. money laundering, terrorist financing, bribery, corruption, fraud, etc.);
- carrying out any activity in compliance with the requirements of any law, regulation or guidelines that are issued by or in cooperation with any regulatory or other authority within or outside Malaysia;
- carrying out any activity for marketing (including direct marketing, unless expressly instructed to cease by you);
- carrying out research, audit, risk assessment, survey, including statistical/actuarial research or data analytics/study provided you cannot be independently identified in such report/study;
- the performance of any obligations under any lawful scheme of transfer of business;
- cooperation in the assistance of investigations by any insurer or takaful operator;
- conducting investigations on third party service providers (including any related party) for any allegation of fraud, conspiracy, breach of law, rules and regulations, codes of practice and misconduct or any unethical behaviour or practices;
- performance of re-takaful; and
- information sharing with other insurers, takaful operators and any other information sharing systems, which may include credit-rating systems.
Your Consent is Important!
When you sign up for our products and services, you will be required to provide Takaful Malaysia with your personal data. In doing so, you consent to its use by Takaful Malaysia in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
The collection of your personal data by Takaful Malaysia may be voluntary in nature depending on the purposes for which your personal data is collected. Where it is mandatory for you to provide Takaful Malaysia with your personal data, and you fail or choose not to provide us with such data, or do not consent to the above Privacy Notice, Takaful Malaysia will not be able to provide our products and/or services or otherwise deal with you, if at all.
How Do We Collect Your Personal Information
Takaful Malaysia has obtained your personal information from various sources, such as:
- When you complete and/or provide documentation and/or verbal information to participate in a takaful product;
- When you complete and/or provide documentation and/or verbal information to make a claim under a takaful product;
- When you contact Takaful Malaysia through our various methods such as application forms, emails and letters, telephone calls and conversations you have with our staff in a branch. If you contact us or we contact you using telephone, we may monitor or record the phone call for quality assurance, training and security purposes;
- From our analysis of your transactions (e.g. payment history, product purchases);
- When we obtain your personal data through your participation in our customer surveys or when you sign up for any of our competitions or promotions;
- When we obtain any data and information from third parties (e.g. credit reference agencies, regulatory and enforcement agencies, hospitals, adjustors, solicitors, employers, beneficiaries, legal representatives, spouses, parents, guardians, dependents and/or companies/partnership that you hold directorships, shareholdings or partnership in);
- When you enter into any commercial transactions with Takaful Malaysia including but not limited to you providing goods and/or services or your professional services;
- From video recordings from close circuit security surveillance cameras and audio recordings at our premises or at events organised by us; and/or
- From publicly available sources.
How Can You Access and Correct Your Personal Information
Your personal information is very important to Takaful Malaysia to enable us to provide our services. Whilst we will use all reasonable efforts to ensure the validity of your information, we may have relied on sources as mentioned above and as such cannot guarantee the accurateness of your personal information.
To the extent that the applicable law allows, you have the right to request access to, request for a copy of, request to update or correct, your personal data held by Takaful Malaysia. We may charge a small fee (such amount as permitted under the PDPA) to cover the administration costs involved in processing your request to access your personal data. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Takaful Malaysia reserves the rights to rely on any statutory exemptions and/or exceptions to collect, use and disclose your personal data.
If you find your personal information to be inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or not up-to-date you have the right to change such personal data.
In addition, you also have the right, by notice in writing, to inform Takaful Malaysia on your withdrawal (in full or in part) of your consent given previously to Takaful Malaysia subject to any applicable legal restrictions, contractual conditions and a reasonable duration of time for the withdrawal of consent to be effected. However, your withdrawal of consent could result in certain legal consequences arising from such withdrawal. In this regard, depending on the extent of your withdrawal of consent for Takaful Malaysia to process your personal data, it may mean that Takaful Malaysia will not be able to continue with your existing relationship with Takaful Malaysia or the contract that you have with Takaful Malaysia will have to be terminated.
Disclosure of Your Personal Data
Solely for the purpose as set out in the “Use of Personal Data Collected” above and to effectively provide our services, please note that Takaful Malaysia will/or may disclose your personal information to the following categories of parties strictly on need to know basis
within or outside of Malaysia for the purposes set out above:
- Individuals or organizations within Takaful Malaysia’s, or another takaful group of companies;
- Bankatakaful partners, their party outsourcing service providers, third party call centers, takaful agents registered with a licensed takaful provider and the necessary associations Takaful Malaysia is registered with or independent licensed takaful brokers;
- Retakaful service providers;
- Claims investigation companies or loss adjusters/surveyors or other parties necessary to process claims;
- Relevant government authorities, law enforcement agencies, courts, tribunals, regulatory bodies and/or statutory agencies or bodies or any other person to whom Takaful Malaysia is under an obligation to make disclosure under the requirements of any law binding on Takaful Malaysia or any of its associated or any of its associated companies are expected to comply;
- Industry associations and federations;
- Doctors, medical specialists, hospitals, clinics or healthcare institutions;
- Takaful Malaysia ’s auditors, consultants, lawyers, accountants, fund managers or other professional advisers appointed in connection with our business on a strict confidential basis, appointed to provide services to Takaful Malaysia;
- Bank, credit companies or other financial institutions for the purposes of collection or refund of any monies due or payable;
- Any person permitted by you or, as the case may be, your executor, administrator or legal personal representative;
- Information-sharing systems, for purposes of enabling exchange of information in order to facilitate fraud prevention and detection;
- Any person to whom disclosure is necessary for the purpose of investigation into any allegation of Takaful Intermediaries’ and their third party service providers’ breach of any laws, rules and regulations, codes of practice including the Code, misconduct or unethical behaviours or practices;
- Any person to whom the disclosure is necessary for the purposes of investigations under any written law, criminal proceedings or civil proceedings, or any person to whom the disclosure is required to be made under court order; and/or
- Other third party service providers appointed to provide administrative, telecommunications, payment, data processing, data storage, or other services to us.
- If Takaful Malaysia has merged or been acquired by another entity, personally identifiable information may be transferred to such entity as part of the merger or acquisition.
- If you are supplying personal data of other parties such as your family members, legal guardians, nominees, directors, shareholders or officers, please do ensure that you have obtained their consent and bring this Privacy Notice to their attention.
Retention of Personal Data
Your personal data will not be kept longer than is necessary for the fulfilment of the purpose for which it was collected unless such retention is necessary for their operational, audit, legal, regulatory, tax or accounting requirements. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal data are destruct or permanently delete such information.
However, personal data can be retained for a longer period of time if such retention is necessary for the following purposes:
- legal proceedings or a regulatory or similar investigation or obligation to produce the said information;
- a crime or misconduct is suspected or detected;
- information is relevant to a company in liquidation or receivership, where a debt is due to the insurers/takaful operators; or
- Information is considered to be of potential historical importance including but not limited to the purposes described above.
Rights on Personal Information
It is well within your right to request that we stop using your personal data by:-
- withdrawing your consent;
- requesting in writing for us to cease or not begin the processing of your personal information if you feel that the use of your personal data is causing or likely to cause substantial damage or substantial distress to you; and/or
- requesting in writing that we cease or not begin processing your personal data for purpose of direct marketing
We treat all information requested as obligatory. However, a withdrawal of consent or request not to deal with your personal information may result in us not being able to continue providing our services and products, which may include the cancellation of any existing takaful certificate you may have with us.
We may change or update parts of this Privacy Notice in order to maintain our compliance with applicable law and regulation or following an update to our internal practices. We will do this by updating the wording on this webpage and updating the publication date at the top of this page, although, please be aware; you will not necessarily be directly notified of such a change. Therefore, please ensure that you regularly check this Privacy Notice so you are fully aware of any changes or updates.
Electronic Communications and Direct Marketing
In addition to the purpose set out above, Takaful Malaysia may use your name and contact details for promotional or marketing purposes including sending you promotional materials and conducting direct marketing in relation to our products and services where permitted by law.
For the purposes of direct marketing, we may, where permitted by law, provide your personal information to providers (whether within or outside of Takaful Malaysia Group) of any of the products and services described above and call centre, marketing or research services (“other direct marketing organization”) so that they can send you promotional materials and conduct direct marketing in relation to the products and services we offer.
Takaful Malaysia may process your name, e-mail address, home address or telephone/fax number for direct marketing purposes only if the relevant consent has been obtained to such use of your personal data at the point of collection of the personal data and the message is limited to products and services offered by Takaful Malaysia. As such, we will only communicate to you for direct marketing purposes by way of post and electronic communications which includes SMS/MMS, e-mail, phone call and fax.
If you have provided consent and wish to opt-out from receiving any direct marketing materials from Takaful Malaysia, kindly fill in the “Endorsement Form” and e-mail it to our Call Centre e-mail address provided at the end of this Privacy Notice or contact our Call Centre on the telephone number provided below.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, or have any further queries, or would like to make a complaint or data access or correction request in respect of your personal data, you may contact Takaful Malaysia at the following address:-
||Assistant General Manager
Customer Service Unit
||Syarikat Takaful Malaysia Keluarga Berhad
14th Floor, Annexe Block
Menara Takaful Malaysia
No. 4, Jalan Sultan Sulaiman
50000 Kuala Lumpur
||1-300 88 252 385
||03- 2274 0237